Summer is almost here, and with that comes the heat! What’s one thing that inevitable happens every summer? The a/c unit breaks down. There’s your HVAC bill that can range anywhere from $200 to $2500, if you have to replace the compressor itself. And once that is fixed, then you’ve got the constantly running a/c just trying to keep you from being lukewarm.
Well, here are some tips to help you reduce your energy consumption throughout the summer so you can keep that energy bill from going higher than it needs to.
- Wash clothes in cold water to save a sizable amount of of money per year, up to $100. Washing in warm or hot water pulls that water from your water heater, which then has to re-heat the new water! Washing in cold water tends to be better for colored clothing anyway.
- Try a smart thermostat. A NEST or similar thermostat can help you save a lot on your energy bill when you’re not home or during sleep time. If you’re at work for 8-10 hours of the day, then you only need to start cooling the home down an hour or so before you get home. But there’s no point in cooling for the entirety of that time, racking up your electrical bill in a heavy southern heat.
- Turn off your computers, lights, or any other appliances when you’re not using them. Computers alone can suck a lot of energy overnight when you’re sleeping, plus if you leave the house to go to work. That’s 8-16 hours of the day where it’s pulling energy and you’re not even home to use it. Multiply that by 30 days of the month and you’ve got 240 – 480 hours of the month where a 800W power supply is constantly running.
- Switch to new, energy efficient light bulbs. Come on, it’s 2018 already! Why are you using those old nasty ones? This will save you energy throughout the day, every day!
- Cover up windows, especially if the sun comes in through them. Depending on the direction your window faces, you really might want to prevent that extra heat coming in in the afternoons, when the a/c is already struggling to keep up.
- Last but not least, REFER FRIENDS to your electrical company. If you’re using Reliant Energy (which you should be), then you can get $50 off your bill every time someone signs up. And they’ll receive that bonus too! Look, you can get started right now with this link for $50 off your bill over at reliant’s refer-a-friend program.
There you have it, 6 easy steps to save on energy this summer, all of which cost you almost nothing and can save you hundreds of dollars per year while also reducing your carbon footprint. for more info, check out our page (http://www.reliantenergypromocode.com)Read More